This week in the A – Z of Conveyancing, we’ll go through the commonly used terms in relation to conveyancing, looking at the letter I.


The fixtures and fittings which are included in the sale of a property are listed on the front page of the Contract for Sale. The inclusions must be checked by the purchaser when inspecting the property to make sure all items that they wish to be left are listed and are in working order. The inclusions are standard items such as blinds, wardrobes, stove etc… or any additional items such as air-conditioning.

Inspection Reports

When you agree to purchase a property, you take the property “as is” at the time of inspection and exchange. It is therefore imperative that you are satisfied with the condition of the property prior to the exchange of contract and it is strongly recommended you obtain pre-purchase reports for the property such as pest and building reports or a strata report which will provide details of any defects or issues that may affect the property.


If you are purchasing a unit, building insurance for your property is included in the Owners Corporation’s insurance policy. However, your contents will not be covered and you will have the option of taking out contents insurance to cover the repair or replacement of items such as furniture or appliances should they be damaged.  If you are purchasing a house your mortgagee will require you to take out building (home) insurance to cover the cost of repair or rebuild should the property be damaged. You have the option of also obtaining contents insurance.

For more information on the A – Z of Conveyancing check out our other posts: